5.27.2010

4 month old girl sleeps less, late night research, and beowulf

Tilda will be four months old tomorrow.  In retrospect, that went by really fast.  She seems to me to have grown in length (height) by inches over the past couple of weeks.  And while she used to sleep for an hour or two at a couple of different times during the day, she now seems to prefer little 20-40 minute naps throughout the day.  What this means is that it is actually a little more difficult to get things done as she prefers to be entertained while she's not sleeping.  So, I've recently noticed both my wife and I have our computers out and we're doing work from about 830pm, when Tilda goes to bed, til about 1030-11pm, when we go to bed.  I suppose we're adjusting but doing science and having a little one does make for strange habits.

On bed time, we've been getting into a bed-time routine of washing up, changing into sleep-wear, and reading to Tilda.  We're currently running 'I love you stinky face' into the ground on a nightly basis.  I love the part where mama lives by her slimy swamp monster.  That part always chokes me up.  But, we've also introduced Beowulf into the mix.  So we'll read her stinky-face and then each night we'll do a couple to a few pages of Beowulf.  So far it is working out pretty well.  I think I read parts of it in high school, but the three of us are really enjoying it.  We have this bilingual edition that has the modern English and the old English/Anglo-Saxon versions.  Obviously we're reading her the modern English version but have been considering reading her the old viking version afterwards?  Maybe if we teach Tilda Viking nice and early she'll be better equipped to understand that complexities of hagar the horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment